Defensive Driving Habits
Whether you’re planning an end-of-year road trip or just going about your day-to-day tasks, the happiest, healthiest driver is the one who practises safety — without compromise. Owning a Subaru means you’re backed by Confidence In Motion, where safety is our primary focus.
While tech and innovation is a mammoth part of your Subaru’s development, you can take that to the next level with defensive driving habits, designed to empower you from a precautionary and pre-emptive response-time perspective.
Getting into the discipline of using defensive driving tactics means that we’re aware and ready for whatever happens. We are cautious, yet ready to take action and not put our fate in the hands of other drivers. This doesn’t mean you have to become a stress-ball of worry; it just means you’re prepared, all while getting the most from our driving experience.
Defensive Driving Habits To Always Keep In Mind
Defensive driving safety tips can be best described as follows:
- Reducing the risk of collision by anticipating dangerous situations, adverse conditions or the mistakes of others
- Implementing defensive driving habits that enables you to address identified hazards in a predictable manner
- Maintaining an increased awareness of everything happening around you while driving
- Driving characterized by prudence, diligence and reasonable cautiousness with the goal of making the road a safe place not only for a defensive driver but also for other road users
Top 10 Defensive Driving Tips
Prepared. Calm. Collected.
While completing an advanced driver’s course is an incredible investment, there’s so much that could become good-habits, making for a great short list of 10 things to remember when it comes to driving with defensive driving habits:
- Stay alert
- Avoid distractions
- Be aware of what’s way up ahead as well as what’s just in front of you
- Keep a safe following distance
- Control your speed
- Make sure other drivers (and pedestrians) know what your intentions are (clear signalling etc)
- Stay out of other drivers’ blind-spots (not every car has Subaru’s EyeSight Driver Assistance technology)
- Adhere to right-of-way rules
- Anticipate other drivers’ moves
- Keep your road-rage in check
Safety is about more than you. It’s about everyone you cross paths with — whether they’re in a car or on foot. It is important that we strive to be more attentive and pre-empt errors and hazards by the activities around us.
If you would like to discuss safety in the Subaru context at what Confidence In Motion really means to us, call us on +27 11 608 0116 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.