Tokyo, March 4, 2014 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the manufacturer of Subaru automobiles, unveiled the Subaru VIZIV 2 Concept today at the 2014 Geneva International Motor Show.
The Subaru VIZIV 2 Concept is a future-generation crossover concept that represents the direction of Subaru’s brand values – enjoyment and peace of mind – and which follows the Subaru VIZIV Concept revealed at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show and the Subaru VIZIV Evolution Concept exhibited at the 2013 Tokyo Motor Show. “VIZIV” is a coined word inspired by the phrase “Vision for Innovation”, to express Subaru’s future vision of innovation and the future direction of the brand. By using the word continuously, Subaru expresses to pursue enjoyment and peace of mind as an essential value offered for customers.
Subaru VIZIV 2 Concept Main Features
· A future-generation crossover concept achieves integration of apparently-opposing elements such as environmental friendliness and driving performance or design and utility at a high level. It offers the brand value of enjoyment and peace of mind on all road surface conditions, driving environments and usage.
· Compared to the VIZIV’s 2-door body, VIZIV 2 employs a 4-door body which achieves both utility benefits and a sporty cabin. The stylish body was also given a well-packaged design which enables four adults to ride comfortably even on long road trips.
· While emphasising dynamism and solidity, the design shares motifs with other Subaru models.
· Its hybrid system employs a small displacement turbocharged engine which is popular in many markets. Automated driving technologies are also adopted as important technologies to bolster brand values.
· The solid body represents polished surfaces, rigidity and density, in turn an expression of Subaru's safety and security.
· Representative of the powerful, dynamic motif, the sides pose in a dynamic stance, coupled with strong fenders which flare out as if gushing out from the interior.
· Beginning with the hexagonal grille, the front represents the solid feel of the design. Together with headlights which evoke images of the Boxer® engine within, the large circular lights serve to emphasise the image of an active crossover.
· The core hexagonal shape of the body is repeated again in the rear. The rear combination lamps make the rear feel wider, and the strong fenders impress a sense of stability in their stance.
· The rugged body framework has been incorporated as part of the design, creating an interior which inspires a dynamic, enjoyable driving experience.
· VIZIV 2 Concept features a plug-in hybrid system that consists of a 1.6-litre horizontally-opposed direct injection turbo (DIT) Boxer® engine, combined with high-torque-compatible Lineartronic™ (CVT) with one front motor and two rear motors. The components for the hybrid system such as the high voltage battery are installed while maintaining the Subaru's unique Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive™ layout. The layout delivers superb driveability based on its low centre of gravity and superior weight balance.
· The independent-rear-motor-driven Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive™ system which is leading the way to a future generation of Subaru All-Wheel Drive technology has been adopted for the VIZIV 2 Concept. Subaru is constantly refining its unique AWD systems according to the development philosophy “four-wheel management”. The independent-rear-motor-driven Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive™ system provides fine-tuned control of the four wheels to match the travel environment and road surface conditions.
· Subaru will illustrate its goal for the future of safety technology with the adoption of an innovative autopilot system.
Overall Length X Width X Height (mm): 4,435 X 1,920 X 1,530 Wheelbase (mm): 2,730
Engine Type: 1.6-litre horizontally-opposed direct injection turbo (DIT) Boxer® engine Transmission Type: High-torque-compatible Lineartronic™ (CVT)
Electric Motor Type: Interior permanent magnet synchronous motor; front: 1 motor; rear: 2 motors Battery Type: Lithium-ion batteries
AWD System: Independent-rear-motor-driven Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive ™
Tyres: 245/45 ZR20
Seating Capacity: 4